Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chocolate, caramel, coffee cookies

Every office has their traditions. Ours has one, that has affectionately become known as 'Bake Friday'. A completely voluntary activity where each person has a turn to bring in baked goods on a Friday for the rest of the team. 

My turn rolled around last Friday, after a great deal of anticipation, poring over ideas in books, magazines and online. I was well and truly excited to have the opportunity to get a little wild and organically creative as I baked up a storm. 

I chose to make a simple cookie batter, minus eggs due to the observance of the fast by Hindu friends at the time. Be that as it may, there was a great deal of thought that went into the nuances of flavour in the cookies that I made. 

I've never really been one for recipes but have always chosen to see them as guidelines. I prefer to experiment and use my sense of touch, taste, feel and smell to achieve what I want.

Overall though, I've found when it comes to baking there are a few key ingredients without which any dish would fall flat. 


Love 
Passion
A generous pinch of salt


On that note I leave you with a guideline instead of a recipe, descriptions instead of quantities, and some pictures that I hope you will find visually exciting.


A touch of cinnamon, a whisper of coffee, a hint of chocolate, molten melting chocolate chips, soft and sticky brown sugar, all important salt, chunks and shards of delicious chopped almonds, a generous ooze of maple syrup and sprinklings of vanilla and almond essences and of course a sufficient integration of cake flour, corn flour and a bit of baking powder all added up to the cookies that I made that day.


Melted Margarine getting the maple syrup treatment

In go the choc chips, cocoa, coffee and essences

Decorating time- a pat of caramel, a drizzle of chocolate and a sprinkling of edible glitter
Le finished product!



No comments:

Post a Comment