Saturday, September 15, 2012

Reign of the rain



I look to you as that uncomfortable stranger that I would meet on the train, hoping by all means to avoid you and yet you go on cozying right up to me oblivious of my discomfort and space bubble anyway.

I have mixed feelings about you rain.

I really don’t want to be exposed to your splashing presence, it makes me feel a little uneasy, makes me want to act out, flex my muscle and take back my personal space. I glare at you with an almost resentful stare; you laugh and send a shower of playful revenge my way. 

As time goes by, I’m still not quite inclined to put up with your presence, but you persist anyway, I begin to soften, wondering, why has the fight has gone out of me today? Little by little I begin to grudgingly enjoy your company and find ways to make your presence in my life slightly more palatable. A steaming mug of coffee, a seat near my windowsill, a notebook in hand, fluffy socks on my feet and some crusty warm chocolate pastries on a little plate, make me less inclined to glower moodily at you. In fact there’s something about you now that has set the scene for me to create!

Against your dull grey landscape my mind suddenly runs riot with colour. It is the perfect foil against which I start to dream up characters for my latest attempt at a short novel. One by one they all emerge, creating dialogue, to flesh out rich and complex human relationships, intrigue, drama… The words flow from my pen, I become a writer, a screen writer, a director, a poet, my goodness! My heart overflows with feeling, fingers ache to keep up with my scrawling and little cryptic doodles, all of which, I’m sure will make it onto my laptop someday. 

I don’t know how it happened but it did. You bewitched me with you persistence, forced me to dig deep, to imagine, to stretch the capacity of my mind. Then just as I had begun to warm to your cold embrace you decide to bring your cousin ‘sunshine’ out to play. 

That two day spell, I wasn’t looking forward to, became my creative capsule, a sanctuary. It was a moment in time, to stop, be still and reflect and now you’ve gone and taken it all away. Until next time, fare thee well… silly rain, take care of your whimsical self.

We will meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment